At RISE & Shine we consider Traumatic Events to be events or incidents that cause physical, emotional, spiritual, or psychological harm.
Some examples of Traumatic Events are:
- Death of someone close to you (family member, lover, friend, mentor, pet, etc)
- Physical pain/injury/surgery/car accident
- Serious illness
- Natural disasters
- Moving to a new location
- Parental abandonment
- Loss of a job/financial stability/home
- Witnessing a death/crime/traumatic event
- Domestic abuse
- Prison stay
- Victim of a crime
- Some of the impacts and reactions people may experience can include: irritability, sudden mood changes, anxiety, anger, denial, and/or disconnection with self and others
- depression, flashbacks (mental, physical, emotional, or repeated thoughts of the event), difficulty concentrating, negative/shame based thoughts, physiological and psychological responses to triggers
- Altered sleep (too much or not at all), changes in appetite (eating more or less), intense fear that the event will recur, especially when around triggers of the event, withdrawal or isolation, physical symptoms of stress / somatic / headaches, nausea etc. Worsening of medical condition, emotional highs and lows.